Verkauf

Georg Wolf (German, 1882–1962)

  • £1,450.00

Georg Wolf (German, 1882–1962)

Goats Grazing 

Oil on Canvas

  • Signed lower left.
  • Painting - 55cm x 70cm
  • Frame - 66cm x 80cm 

Notes

A very fine example of the work of German animal painter Georg Wolf.  Signed lower left.

Condition

In very fine condition.  The canvas not lined, torn, patched or repaired.  Clean, most attractive, well framed and ready to hang.

Artist Information

Georg Wolf was a German animal and landscape painter from the Düsseldorf School.  Wolf, who showed an interest in animal painting as a boy, attended the arts and crafts school in Strasbourg from 1899 to 1901 . During the subsequent military service, which he performed from 1901 to 1903 in the Royal Bavarian 2nd Infantry Regiment "Crown Prince" in Munich , he had first contact with Heinrich von Zügel's animal painting. From 1903 to 1904 he went on a trip to Italy with the painter Fritz Müller-Schwaben (1879–1957). In 1906 he enrolled at the Düsseldorf Art Academy . There he attended the class of the animal painter Julius Paul Junghanns , whose master studenthe was. He took his final exam in 1908 and left the academy in 1912. From 1909 to 1914 he attended Heinrich von Zügels' animal painting school, which had existed as the "Zügel-Schule" since 1895 in Wörth am Rhein and which offered prospective animal painters the opportunity to deepen their knowledge in the summer months. He took part in the First World War as a soldier. Pictures of landscapes and the everyday life of German soldiers at the front come from this time.  In 1913 Wolf took part in the Great Art Exhibition in Düsseldorf , in 1914, 1920, 1922, 1937, 1938, 1939 and 1941 he exhibited in the Munich Glass Palace . In 1937 he was represented at the Great German Art Exhibition in the Munich House of Art . In 1934 he became a member of the Reich Chamber of Culture . Wolf lived in Düsseldorf , where he was friends with the animal painter Carl Weisgerber . After the death of his wife, he moved to Uelzen in the Lüneburg Heath at the end of 1944, a landscape that he got to know in the 1930s. There he married again in 1960. His widow bequeathed her husband's artistic estate to the city of Uelzen. Works by the painter are exhibited in the museum at Schloss Holdenstedt.